The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.

Friday, February 8, 2008

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile." What can I say, Franklin P. Jones stole my words.

Disclaimer: The characters, thoughts and feelings expressed in this piece are definitely not fictional and any resemblane to any living person(s) is purely intentional. If the reader has never been madly in love with anyone before, it is strongly advised that he/she does not read anything further.

Was it love at first sight? Naah—certainly not that. But perhaps within the first month of meeting him, I knew; I was in love-perhaps my first true love.

I think he was a bit surprised when I first said “Hi” to him. It was the jaunty kind of “Hi”, definitely not one that you would expect when meeting someone for the first time. Given the fact that I have starting trouble, especially when it comes to breaking the ice, I was surprised at myself for the way the first words came out—so unhibited, like I had known him forever. And the first time I saw him—the face that stays with me every night before I drift into sleep, the face that I see the first thing in the morning, the face that is with me in all my living moments, a face that I want to have before my eyes for the rest of my life…

….That shy smile, those big, bright eyes, the almost-formed dimples, the broad brow and the a-little-too prominent nose. I have became a slave to this image -one that binds me and enslaves me by re-appearing not just in my dreams but also in my waking hours. My eyes seem to be seeking and finding him everywhere—beside me in the cab when I am returning home, when I see the colour red(his favourite), when I am eating a pastry(his favourite too)-there he is giving me the smile of his which makes me wish that time stops andl all the mundane activity of life freezes in time…so that he can take me out of the cab by my hand, splash a bit of the colour red on me and whisk away the cherry topping on the pastry…..

In the beginning, I wrote it off as a crush but it grew and as much as I tried to ignore it, the deeper and the more special it grew. Every gesture of his is so very endearing. His disorderliness, his goofiness, his child-like appreciation for things which excite him, his pretence of superiority whenever he is proved wrong in any matter, his wise-cracks….We are poles apart in may things—he cries seeing emotional stuff in the theatres. He runs away from classics in Eng. Literature, as much as I love them. He is a fan of the s(h)elf-improvement books and I couldn’t detest them any more than I do now. He does zany things and would make every effort to amlify the efforts he puts into them, just to annoy me—he will blow loudly through the straw into the juice-filled container so that it makes a ripping oaring sound. He will try to floss with any sharp object that he can lay his hands on. But these things just don’t seem to irritate me as much as they would if anyone else was doing them.

All this M&B prattle would make one wonder if this love thing was happening both ways. The answer is –I don’t know! I’ve been a coward everytime it came to making aware of his aware for me. It is not the fear of rejection. Rather, it is the uncertainty of how things might work out if at all we discover our feelings for each other. Where does it go from there? Am I ready for a relationship? Is he ready for someone like me in his life? I come with a lot of baggage and my life is certainly not what you would call ordinary. Would he be able to make the changes in his life that any person who wants to have any kind of intimate relationship with me would have to make? Thousands of answered questions like these logging my brain which make me want to chicken out from telling him how I feel about him every time I decide to come out in the open.

Perhaps, slowly, I ‘ve begun to realise that true love doesn’t require acceptance or acknowledgement of any kind- not from society or even own’s own ever-rationalising-mind. It never demands receiving anything at all. It’s not necssary for the peron whom you fall n love with, loves you back…

The magic of love is that it creates a heaven for you on earth, a feeling that makes you fall in love with the air around you and the wind blowing in your hair. Suddenly, everything from the tiniest of the flowers to the early morning sunray that beams in through your bedroom window, and all the zillions of particles in it, seem to be dancing away to the tune of your love. Suddenly, all those lyrics in romantic songs-one’s that you once brushed away calling them silly, mushy, seem to make sense.

The truth is that I love him and this is something that nobody can take away from me। I love him with all my heart and soul and will love him forever. This love will remain with me- perhaps for as long as I continue to breathe or until cupid strikes again- if at all there is an “again”.

I know, “forever” is long time। But I also know that Love Conquers All. Even Time.


13 comments:

Srividya said...

Howdy Stranger! Very beautifully written post. Best wishes for Love and Life :)
Adding you to my blogroll!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... express at all cost but never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever expect anything in back

Anonymous said...

btw.. "to know me is to love me" gave me a break to listen to one old-dy gold-dy song "Cheri cheri lady - Modern Talking"

Mounika said...

Hi Dolby,

Re: Your comment dated Feb 19th '08:""Disclaimer: The characters, thoughts and feelings expressed in this
piece are definitely not fictional and any resemblane to any living
person(s) is purely intentional. If the reader has never been madly in
love with anyone before, it is strongly advised that he/she does not
read anything further."

LOL... Do u mean to say that a writer who have never experienced
anything on a particular SUBJECT cant come up with the best story about
the same SUBJECT? ;-)"

Sorry, Dolby, I really fail to understand your logic. I mean... how do you jump to these lopsided and downright illogical conclusions? :-) And just fyi, No, I definitely did not mean to say what you have expressed here. :-))))

Chumi @ Lakshmi @ Lucky said...

hey minty... how r u doing...
u've really got a thing for writing... i wonder how u manage ur time with everything...work, dance classes, writing, blogging...

hey, one of these days if i need help writing.. i'll come to u k! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Amazing post. Best wishes to succeed in ur love.

Anonymous said...

Hope ur love succeeds and best wishes.

Ur blog is amazing.

Anonymous said...

oops... it happens... in generic people find it hard to understand what i say... and here it's about love... anyway just one more time.. let me try and put it simple... in your disclaimer it reads

"If the reader has never been madly in love with anyone before, it is strongly advised that he/she does not read anything further."

why so? do you mean to say that those who have never been so madly in love will not understand what you have written?

Mounika said...

Hi Dolby,

How are you ? Good to hear back from you (I was wondering if you had lost interest in my blog) ;-)

It's good to know that there is somebody out there who dissects your writing the way we were forced to slice and dice Shakespeare in School.

Anyways, to respond to your query, Yes, to a certain extent, just as people who have never been on a ship or a boat out in the sea, may never truly understand what sea sickness is, people who have never fallen head over heels in love, may not truly appreciate the sentiments expressed her.

But as the disclaimer is as fictional as the piece it precedes, the words here are open to interpretation. The meaning lies in the mind of the reader.

Anonymous said...

yep... so far so gud... snow has gone and sun is shining bright... but i am the "dont care" guy.. so whether it snows, rain, shine i will be having fun :-)

Lost interest??? I believe sometime blogs and a persons post, rambles etc gives insight about that person much more, though not met in real world. So in your case I think you have not even started to flow out in your blog. Not possible to decide now :-)

Dance as if no one is watching, Sing as if no one is listening, Blog as if no one is reading :-)... I follow this... But it's always good to have 1 true reader who rarely comment rather than 1000 people who just comment... ok i will try my level best to be a true reader who do comment also ;-)

I agree, feelings are hard to define and even harder to measure... but still (to be contd...)

Mounika said...

Hmmm........

How can you say that my blog doesn't express the kind of person I am ("I think you have not even started to flow out in your blog') . And does that mean that you will no longer have any interest in my blog once you think you have known me through it and there is nothing more to glean from it about the kind of person I am ?

But yes, it's good to have a person who takes keen interest in what one writes.

Anonymous said...

Hey dolby grt job done. since i cant contact u its via media. but trust you I know u

Regards,
Dolby Digital

Unknown said...

Hey Mounika and Dolby,

I partially agree with both of you on Luv, feelings and understanding them... (I do not know who this Dolby is however liked the character's thoughts).

All are unique and have their own means of expressing themselves... With some they have to fall in love to understand what "Love " is and for some don't have to... Whatever it is its nice to fall in love at least once and experience it and ejoy each moment of it. 'coz Love always follows possesiveness, coldness, fights and arguements,disagreements... blaaa blaa blaa... To overcome all these and be united is what makes it more special...

I feel good when I ask my Luv "where are you?" he says " In your heart"...

Now that we are speaking about love, let me share a forward that I received on V' day from my Luv "Love is not winning someone but loosing yourself to someone, when you are loved by someone its not your excellence mind but purity of your heart"... Ain't it good... Luv cannot be forced and Mounika you have expressed really well about how much you love the person... You have been very practical too not by just praising the person whom you love...

We are all human beings and what is right and what is wrong depends on an individual's perception. So I would say that there is nothing right or wrong and definately not wrong with whatever you have written...

Loads of Luv,
Priya